Is Pine Sol Flammable? Fire Safety Alert

Cleaning is a part of our daily routine. We use various cleaning products to keep our homes and workplaces spick and span.

However, have you ever wondered if our cleaning products are flammable? It’s essential to be aware of the flammability of cleaning agents to prevent any accidents or mishaps.

In this blog, we will discuss the flammability of a popular cleaning product and provide you with some essential safety tips.

So, read on to learn more about the flammability of cleaning products.

What Is Pine Sol?

Pine-Sol is a brand of cleaning product that is known for its distinctive pine scent. It is a widely used household cleaner and disinfectant. Pine-Sol was first introduced in 1929 by Harry A.

Cole and its original formulation contained pine oil as the main ingredient, giving it its characteristic scent.

Over the years, the formula has been modified, and the current version of Pine-Sol contains a combination of surfactants, cleaning agents, and fragrances.

Pine-Sol is commonly used to clean floors, countertops, walls, and bathroom fixtures.

It is effective in removing dirt, grease, grime, and stains. It also has some disinfecting properties and can help kill certain types of bacteria and viruses when used as directed.

Is Pine Sol Flammable?

The short answer is yes, Pine-Sol is flammable. This is because it contains a small percentage of alcohol, a highly flammable substance. However, it is important to note that Pine-Sol is not highly flammable, meaning it will not ignite easily.

So, what precautions should you take when using Pine-Sol? First and foremost, you should always keep the product away from open flames and heat sources.

This includes candles, stovetops, and anything else that could ignite the Pine-Sol. Additionally, it would be best never to smoke or useother combustible materials while using Pine-Sol.

Another important safety tip is never to mix Pine-Sol with other cleaning products. This can create a dangerous chemical reaction that can harm your health and even cause a fire.

Always read the label and follow the manufacturer’s instructions when using Pine-Sol.

Is Pine Sol Flammable?

In the event of a fire, it is crucial to know what to do. If a small fire starts while using Pine-Sol, you can use a fire extinguisher to put it out.

If the fire is too large to handle, evacuate the area immediately and call the fire department.

Flash Point Of Pine-Sol?

According to the Pine-Sol Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS), the flash point of Pine-Sol Original is 111.11°F (44.06°C). This means the liquid can ignite when exposed to an open flame or spark at or above this temperature.

This is important information for users to know when using Pine-Sol in their homes.

However, it is important to note that the flash point of Pine-Sol can vary depending on the scent and formulation.

For example, Pine-Sol Lemon Fresh has a slightly higher flash point of 116.11°F (46.73°C). Additionally, Pine-Sol Lavender Clean and Pine-Sol Sparkling Wave have a lower flash point of 105.56°F (40.87°C) and 102.22°F (39.01°C), respectively.

Is Pine-Sol Toxic?

The concern regarding the toxicity of Pine-Sol stems from the fact that it contains certain chemicals that can be harmful if ingested or inhaled in large amounts.

For instance, Pine-Sol contains ethanolamine, which can cause skin irritation and respiratory issues if it comes in contact with the skin or is inhaled.

Similarly, pine oil, which gives Pine-Sol its characteristic scent, can cause allergic reactions in some people.

However, it’s important to note that when used according to the manufacturer’s instructions, Pine-Sol is not considered toxic.

The product is designed to be used in a diluted form, which reduces the concentration of potentially harmful chemicals.

Moreover, Pine-Sol is intended for use on hard surfaces, such as floors, countertops, and sinks, and should not be used on fabrics or other porous materials.

In addition, Pine-Sol has undergone rigorous testing to ensure its safety for use in homes and other settings.

The product has been approved by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and is considered safe for use when used according to the instructions on the label.

Hazards Of Pine-Sol?

While Pine-Sol is generally safe when used as directed, there are some hazards associated with its use if proper precautions are not followed.

Here are some potential hazards of Pine-Sol:

Toxicity: Pine-Sol contains chemicals that can be toxic if ingested. Swallowing Pine-Sol can cause symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, and mouth, throat, and gastrointestinal tract irritation.

In severe cases, ingestion can lead to more serious health effects. It is important to keep Pine-Sol out of reach of children and pets and store it in a secure location.

Skin and Eye Irritation: Prolonged or excessive contact with Pine-Sol can cause skin irritation. It is recommended to avoid direct contact with the skin and to rinse off any spills or splashes promptly.

Pine-Sol can also irritate the eyes. If accidental eye contact occurs, it is important to rinse the eyes thoroughly with water and seek medical attention if irritation persists.

Respiratory Irritation: Inhaling excessive fumes or vapor from Pine-Sol can irritate the respiratory system, causing symptoms such as coughing, wheezing, and difficulty breathing.

It is important to use Pine-Sol in a well-ventilated area and avoid breathing in the fumes. If respiratory irritation occurs, move to an area with fresh air.

Chemical Interactions: Pine-Sol should not be mixed with other cleaning products or chemicals, which can create hazardous reactions. Mixing Pine-Sol with bleach, for example, can produce toxic fumes.

Always read the labels of cleaning products and follow the manufacturer’s recommendations for safe use.

Environmental Impact: Pine-Sol contains chemicals that can be harmful to aquatic life and the environment if not properly disposed of.

It is important to follow local regulations to properly dispose of cleaning products and avoid pouring them down drains or into bodies of water.

Flammable Ingredients In It

Here are some of the flammable ingredients in Pine-Sol:

1. Isopropyl Alcohol – Pine-Sol contains a small amount of isopropyl alcohol, which is a flammable chemical.

Isopropyl alcohol is commonly used in cleaning products because it dissolves dirt and grime. However, using Pine-Sol in a well-ventilated area and away from any open flames is important.

2. Sodium Laureth Sulfate – Another flammable ingredient in Pine-Sol is sodium laureth sulfate. This ingredient is a surfactant that helps to break down oils and dirt. However, it’s important to be aware that this ingredient can also be a skin irritant and should be used cautiously.

3. Fragrance – Pine-Sol also contains fragrance, which can be flammable. Fragrance is used to give Pine-Sol its signature scent, but it’s important to be careful when using it.

Avoid using Pine-Sol near any open flames or sparks.

4. Propylene Glycol – Lastly, Pine-Sol contains propylene glycol, which is a flammable liquid. Propylene glycol is used in cleaning products as a solvent and can help to dissolve tough stains.

However, it’s important to handle Pine-Sol carefully and keep it away from any heat sources.

Safly Use Of Pine Sol

To safely use Pine-Sol, consider the following guidelines:

Read and Follow Instructions: Carefully read the instructions and warnings on the Pine-Sol bottle before use. Follow the recommended dilution ratios and usage guidelines.

Ventilation: Use Pine-Sol in a well-ventilated area. Open windows or doors to ensure fresh air circulation. This helps minimize the inhalation of fumes and reduces the concentration of lingering vapors.

Protective Gear: Wear appropriate protective gear when handling Pine-Sol. This may include gloves, eye protection, and long-sleeved clothing.

These precautions help prevent direct contact with the skin and eyes.

Mixing with Other Products: Do not mix Pine-Sol with other cleaning products, especially bleach or ammonia.

Mixing chemicals can produce toxic fumes or other hazardous reactions. Stick to using Pine-Sol on its own.

Avoid Ingestion: Pine-Sol is toxic if swallowed. Keep it out of the reach of children and pets. Store the product in a secure location away from food and beverages.

Avoid Skin Contact: Minimize skin contact with Pine-Sol by wearing gloves and promptly rinsing off any spills or splashes on the skin with water.

Eye Protection: If Pine-Sol comes into contact with your eyes, immediately flush them with water for at least 15 minutes and seek medical attention if irritation persists.

Proper Disposal: Follow local regulations for properly disposing Pine-Sol and other cleaning products.

Do not pour them down drains or into bodies of water. Look for disposal instructions on the product label.

Test on Surfaces: Before using Pine-Sol on a new surface, test it in an inconspicuous area to ensure compatibility and avoid potential damage.

Please keep away from Flames: Pine-Sol is not flammable, but it is still important to keep it away from open flames, sparks, or other potential ignition sources.

By following these safety measures, you can use Pine-Sol effectively while minimizing potential risks to yourself, others, and the environment.


Pine-Sol is not considered flammable. It does not contain flammable ingredients and, when used as directed, does not pose a significant risk of fire or combustion.

However, handling any cleaning product carefully is always important, as avoiding open flames or other potential ignition sources and following the safety precautions provided on the product label.